|August 14, 2021 10:00 am - 4:00 pm||Lord of the Manor Hotel, Upper Slaughter, GL54 2JD||£110.00|
|September 11, 2021 10:00 am - 4:00 pm||Lord of the Manor Hotel, Upper Slaughter, GL54 2JD||£110.00|
Scything is making a comeback! Scythes have been used since Roman times for cutting vegetation at ground level, and today a modern scythe is surprisingly effective for mowing small meadows, weeds such as nettles, grassy verges, and even lawns. This course will help you tackle your own vegetation situation!
You will learn the three key factors in the successful use of a scythe: how to set up a scythe for a person’s stature, how to keep it sharp, and how to mow with an efficient movement. Blade choice and adjustment of the implement will be discussed. There is an emphasis on safety on this course: the blades are sharp (naturally) and the safety of the operative and of others during use, handling, and sharpening will all be covered.
The course is based around lightweight Austrian scythes. A set will be provided to each participant to use on the course, but if you have your own you can bring them along.
- Perfect for beginners, no experience necessary
- 1 day course
- £110 per person
- Suitable for people aged 16 and over
- The course is taught outside so please bring weather-appropriate clothing: warm clothing / layers, waterproofs, gloves, sturdy shoes/boots, hat, and sun cream.
- You will also need to bring a packed lunch and drinks.
- All other tools and equipment will be provided.
- Portaloos will be provided where toilet facilities are not available, with details provided in course joining instructions.
- Parking will be available with further details provided in the joining instructions.