Lantra Level 1 Certificate in Dry Stone Walling
Looking to develop your dry stone walling skills further? Or maybe you are thinking of embarking on a career as a dry stone waller. The Lantra Level 1 course is a great place to practise your existing skills, learn new ones, and achieve an industry-recognised qualification in the process.
The Lantra Level 1 course is a physically challenging course, consisting of five training days on which trainees will learn how to build and repair a traditional dry stone wall to a professional standard, plus one day of assessment. During the course, you’ll learn about stripping out the wall, preparing and laying foundations, building and packing, placing through bands, copestones, how to select and shape stone, and how to set the batter. The assessment day is a seven-hour practical test during which trainees are required to strip down and rebuild 2.5 square metres of dry stone wall, not less than 1 metre in height. This is a rigorous test, not only in the standard of walling required, but also in the physical demands on the waller. The achievement of this test forms the main validation for a professional waller, and will enable the holder to progress to the Lantra Level 2 Certificate in Dry Stone Walling.
Trainees on the course must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have attended a two day dry stone walling for beginners course
- Have some experience of dry stone walling
Applicants must be willing to provide evidence of their dry stone walling experience, be physically fit, and be committed to completing all five training days, and the assessment day. The standards of walling are those set by the Dry Stone Walling Association (DSWA) of Great Britain, and the course will work only to those standards. Training will be given in all aspects of the correct construction required by the test. Trainees will be expected to assemble a minimum collection of tools, e.g. hammer, lines, tape measure, bucket, spade and pickaxe or similar, but tools will be initially available.
- Perfect for those looking to gain professional Lantra qualifications
- 6 day course (5 days training, 1 day assessment)
- £315 per person (including DSWA Assessment Fee of £110)
- Suitable for people aged 16 and over
- Participants must be physically fit enough to complete six full days of walling
- The course is taught outside so please bring weather-appropriate clothing: warm clothing / layers, waterproofs, gloves, sturdy shoes/boots, hat, and sun cream.
- You will also need to bring a packed lunch and drinks.
- All other tools and equipment will be provided.
- Portaloos will be provided where toilet facilities are not available, with details provided in course joining instructions.
- Parking will be available with further details provided in the joining instructions.