|October 11, 2021 9:00 am - October 12, 2021 4:00 pm||Cranmore Farm, Tetbury. GL8 8PU||£135.00|
|November 27, 2021 9:00 am - November 28, 2021 5:00 pm||Manor Farm, Sopworth, SN14 6PS||£135.00||Fully Booked|
|February 7, 2022 9:00 am - February 8, 2022 4:00 pm||Cranmore Farm, Tetbury. GL8 8PU||£135.00|
Introduction to Hedgelaying
The traditional art of hedgelaying has been part of the Cotswolds landscape for centuries. Originally used for the purposes of stock control, the skill of laying a hedge was once common practice. However, due to the introduction of cheaper and less labour intensive methods of stock control, this natural form of land management is now a much rarer skill. There are many styles of hedgelaying throughout the UK. Here in the Cotswolds, the most commonly used are the Midlands style and the Somerset style, and it is these that we teach on our courses.
During the two days, you will learn how to clear/prepare the hedge, cut and lay the pleachers (cutting a hinge in stems of hedgerow plants to keep them alive and allow these plants to be laid into the living hedge), fix the stakes, correctly use and maintain hedgelaying tools, and find out more about the benefits of hedgelaying for wildlife and landowners.
- Perfect for beginners, no experience necessary
- 2 day course
- £132 per person
- Suitable for people aged 16 and over
- The course is taught outside so please bring weather-appropriate clothing: warm clothing / layers, waterproofs, gloves, sturdy shoes/boots, hat, and sun cream.
- You will also need to bring a packed lunch and drinks.
- All other tools and equipment will be provided.
- Portaloos will be provided where toilet facilities are not available, with details provided in course joining instructions.
- Parking will be available with further details provided in the joining instructions.