|October 6, 2021 10:00 am - October 8, 2021 4:00 pm||Notgrove Estate, Nr Cheltenham, GL54 3BS||£250.00|
Green woodworking: furniture making
Master the basics of green wood furniture making, as you craft a simple, robust, and beautiful three-legged stool or chair from fresh logs and green wood. On this course you will learn the key skills and techniques of traditional furniture making, alongside the history and traditions of a centuries-old skill. The course is in three parts: you will start by choosing the wood for your piece of furniture, then you will learn how to cleave it down to make “blanks” for the legs, use a shave horse and draw knife, and shape the legs or prepare the wood for the pole lathe (if you want turned legs). Then you will make your seat, by sawing it from a plank, then shaping it using an adze and travisher. Finally, you will learn how to join the legs and seat to complete your stool or chair to take home at the end of the course.
- Perfect for beginners, no experience necessary
- 2 (stool) or 4 (chair) day course
- £250 per person
- Suitable for people aged 16 and over
- The course is taught outside so please bring weather-appropriate clothing: warm clothing / layers, waterproofs, gloves, sturdy shoes/boots, hat, and sun cream.
- You will also need to bring a packed lunch and drinks.
- All other tools and equipment will be provided.
- Portaloos will be provided where toilet facilities are not available, with details provided in course joining instructions.
- Parking will be available with further details provided in the joining instructions.