Below is list of key criteria and principles:
- Cotswolds LAG will prioritise funding for new and innovative projects which do not lead to direct competition/displacement of current business activities. Grant funding must be used to address a clear market gap, rather than to compete more effectively with existing businesses in the LAG area.
- All projects must make a measurable contribution to the development of the local economy (with clear evidence provided on project completion). This would usually be in the form of job creation or businesses supported, but examples could also include outputs such as the development of a new tourism attraction or increased visitor numbers.
- Business applicants must be able to demonstrate direct job creation, as a result of LAG funding, and may also be required to show that turnover/profit has increased as a consequence of grant.
- LEADER is only able to fund items purchased using hire purchase or asset finance where the applicant has full ownership of the item prior to submitting a claim.
- Please contact the programme team if you have received more than €200,000 (currently £170,000) in the last three fiscal years as there may be state aid implications. This usually only applies when funding activities of a commercial nature.
- LEADER funding is predominantly for capital purchases. Funding is intended to act as a pump-primer resource where investment leads to sustainable long-term economic benefits. Projects which are reliant on continued grant support are ineligible.
- All projects must provide clear evidence of need and support from key stakeholders, local businesses and residents.
- LEADER funds are designed to support activities which could otherwise not take place. For example, if a business is already able to expand/develop its activities without grant intervention (i.e. – by using bank loans or own funds), there would be no justification for grant intervention. LEADER is considered to be a funder of last resort.
- LEADER can only contribute towards projects and activities which are outside of any mainstream or EU funded programmes. Funding for activities such as training and education are therefore ineligible.
- LEADER is only able to fund renewable energy projects which are ineligible to claim feed-in tariffs (FITS) or renewable heat incentives (RHI’s).
- LEADER is a competitive demand-led grant programme, and all applications must include a strong business case for investment with timely evidence of market rationale, need for grant, project plan – delivery and outputs, accounts, like-for-like quotations and technical information. As a result, there is no guarantee that your project will be approved for funding.
Cotswolds LEADER Programme team
James Webb, Programme Manager on 01451 862033
Lioba Erwert, Programme Assistant 01451 862001
Mandy Pressland, Programme Assistant