Heritage Lottery Funding and The Big Lottery Fund
The Heritage Lottery Fund can provide funding for a variety of projects which focus on heritage. For example:
- People's memories and experiences (often recorded as 'oral history' or spoken history)
- Histories of people and communities (including people who have migrated to the UK)
- Language and dialects
- Cultural traditions such as stories, festivals, crafts, music, dance and costumes
- Histories of places and events
- Historic buildings and streets
- Archaeological sites
- Collections of objects, books or documents in museums, libraries or archives
- Natural and designed landscapes and gardens
- Wildlife, including special habitats and species; and
- Places and objects linked to our industrial, maritime and transport history.
Who can apply?
Eligible projects are ones which promote benefits for the public and which are not mainly for private gain.
- HLF welcomes applications from single organisations and partnerships. Priority is given to not-for-profit organisations and partnerships
- If private owners are involved, HLF expects the public benefit to be greater than any private gain.
Contact: www.hlf.org.uk or call Head Office - 0207 591 6000
The BIG funded community based programmes below all aim to bring your local community together and improve the lives of the people that live within it.
Grants: £300 - £10,000. The Awards for All England programme aims to help improve local communities and the lives of people most in need.
Grants: £1 million - £2 million. An independent charitable trust that will support funding projects in deprived neighbourhoods
Grants: £300 - £10,000. This programme will fund projects that bring local people together to discover, enjoy or protect the wildlife in their local area.
Grants: £150 - £5,500. All WW2 veterans from the UK, Channel Islands and EIRE are able to apply for funding to visit the places where they saw active service.
Grants: £10,000 - £500,000. BIG aims to fund projects that respond to needs identified by communities, and those that fund projects that help those most in need. BIG advice line for all the above 08454102030 or visit www.biglotteryfund.org.uk